Achieving Success – Is the Chicken or the Egg First?

I hear from a lot of the marketing gurus that success is 90% mindset, at least.  The other 10% then, is method.

I used to believe it.  Because, after all, shouldn’t those running successful businesses and making millions of dollars know what it takes?

But as I struggled, my experience made me doubt the accuracy of this 90/10 rule.

I did all of the mindset stuff right.  I made it 90% of my focus.  And I was good.   Affirmations, meditations, visualizations . . . I was a 24/7 living, breathing picture of success.  In my mind.

Reality, however, was different.

The method wasn’t that big of a deal, right?  So I picked a supposed “proven method” and I did it.  Exactly as I was told.  Step-by-step.

I stuck with it.  Invested (or wasted?) lots of money, and time.

I didn’t achieve success.

Some people will say my mindset must have been wrong.  Or that I didn’t give it long enough.

But I struggled in this same spot for nearly a year.  Thinking my day would come.  In fact, knowing my day would come.  100% convinced.

Things really turned around for me when I started doing more and thinking less.  When I did more method and less mindset.

I began to question why the 90/10 rule hadn’t worked for me.  I believed and trusted those who preached it.

And, I’ve come to realize that those who preach it believe it too.  No one was intentionally trying to mislead me.

I think for them, it is 90/10.  Because once you have your “method” down, it is easy.

And then it really becomes about getting your head around the money, scaling your business, becoming not just a person who’s figured out how to do it.  Becoming a person who can successfully grow and sustain a profitable business.

It makes me wonder what comes first.  Do you develop a positive mindset because you are successful?  Or are you successful because you’ve developed a positive mindset?

The answer is neither.  While I have definitively concluded that success is not 90% about mindset, I also know that you can’t achieve success without the proper mindset.

On average, maybe it’s 50/50.  For some people, maybe 60/40 in favor of mindset.  For others, 60/40 in favor of method.

The specific numbers don’t really matter.

The lesson is – don’t just sit around visualizing your success for 2 hours and then working on your website for 15 minutes.

Thinking that the method doesn’t really matter is like saying any map will do when you set off on a trip from LA to New York.

As a disclaimer, I must say that I agree with Jim Rohn’s advice that you should work harder on yourself than you do on your job.

This may seem inconsistent.  But I think Mr. Rohn’s advice suggests something far different than much of the personal growth advice I hear these days.  I’ll explain why later.

JENNIFER HERNDON is a work at  home mom with three fabulous kids.  She has been enjoying the time freedom and financial benefits of working at home for over 12 years.  Jennifer’s passion is empowering others to personal and business success through a positive mindset and consistent action.

Don’t put it off until tomorrow.  Start your success journey today with Jim Rohn’s One Year Success Plan.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *